I've been reading up on this for quite some time now and after a good friend got me a vacuum pump for free I finally pulled the plug and bought the rest of the equipment I would need, meaning about four dollars worth of hose that would fit the nipple and then some dollar store plastic lidded containers and some double sided tape. My plan is to, for first attempt, use materials I have on hand.
First task after fitting and cutting the tubing was find a way to attach it to the lid of the holding tank, the cheap container which will act as a reservoir for excess resin running out of the hose, the pot. I need to put a layer of sand in the bottom to act as an anchor to hold it in place as the hose is big and has a tendency to twist to where it wants.
My first thought was to put some Gorilla tape on a portion of the lid and then cut an X into it which the hose would push down through. Oh yeah, it worked but left enough gaps that it would sound and act like a sucking chest wound. Nope, not gonna work.
|The pump with hose|
|Resin Res and Gorilla Tape Sealer|
|First Attempt. Too Loose, Bad Seal|
|Gorilla Tape on the inside|
|Ready to melt a hole for the hose|
Next step is to start making the bag which I'm going to try using four mill plastic I have on hand, double sided tape but am thinking I might need to pick up another nipple to build into it. Will it work? I have no idea but that's what I said about steam bending wood.
More To Come.
It warmed up enough today to fire up the shed heater and give a go at making the bag. It was three degrees in the shed and a balmy minus two outside when I started, had to wait for the shed to warm up to at least fifty degrees before I could start.
I had gotten all my parts together ahead of time, three pieces of six by six carbon fiber squares, the backing I thought I would need for the air hose and enough three mil plastic cut out to form the bag.
|Double Sided Tape|
|Backer for the air nipple|
|Heavy Plastic for the Bag|
More To Come.
With a few days to think things over I knew the problem was the stem valve in the bag or the lack of a proper one. I looked up on several sites about that piece of equipment I needed and it was at a price being a cheap ass Yankee I didn't want to buy one.
|Thru Bag Stem|
|Nipple, washer and rubber washer|
The idea is that once the nipple is pushed through the bag with one set of washers on the outside the second set is placed on the inside of the bag and then tightened down with the nut. All good in theory BUT I couldn't find a damned NUT to fit that threaded part of the nipple. It was causing me a lot of angst!
On the third trip to the Box Store I finally found it, a five-eights inch nut with a plastic thread built in. After looking at the store bought on I also bought and extra size washer. This comes into play in a few minutes.
|Dry fit before the Nut is glued on|
|Two Views of the Base|
More To Come.