Thursday, May 13, 2021

Lincoln Hidden Pond Rebuild

 

 Jan 2018

My better half's daughter's husband found a free boat for me to fix up. Not my kind of hull but what the hell, it's free and I know someone who might be interested in it when I'm done. It's a Hidden Pond made by Lincoln Canoe:

https://paddlelincoln.com/hidden-pond-canoe/

This model is the 14' x 37" wide. A good fishing boat is what I thought. The seats are in perfect shape but the carry thwart needs some attention. When I took the gunwales off the fell apart but the decks were in OK condition but are the funkiest looking design I've ever seen. I'm going to get the nasty green paint off and then sand them and on the bottom coat with resin, when you see the pics you'll understand. New gunwales are going to be Poplar as that is an easy wood to work with and this being a lake and pond boat don't need beefy ash gunwales. A good winter project! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	87956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	87957Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	87959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3116.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	87961Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3119.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	87962 

 More To Come.

 March 2018

Been doing some more work on the Hidden Pond. Seems to be one of those slow projects. Finally got around to milling out the gunwales. I've used Poplar in the past and knowing where this boat is going to be used decided to go that route again. A little time spent with the planner got them down to three quarter and spent last Sunday drilling the holes and rounding them over. I think I've mentioned this before but I have been using a round over plane for this these days. Just to hard for me to solo a gunwale through a table router without a lot of mishaps. Besides, it's a little less sanding.

Next step to treating them and I'm divided between using spar varnish or epoxy. Still toying with that idea! Still have a bit of shaping at the ends. Hoping to have it all assembled by the end of April. Yeah, I'm on a roll...a very slow one with this rebuild!

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your blog. Over the course of the past five years, I have fixed up 7 canoes and I have about that many in the works. Your blog inspired me and gave me the confidence to repair royalex and Composite hulls. I also have a Madriver courier! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such a good informative post.Read More

    ReplyDelete