So, when a good friend calls me as says how would you like a 12' x 12' x 24' portable carport for free I was all over it! Hell, the perfect answer to my storage problem. Now like most things free there are caveats. This was bought several years ago, it had never been set up, it had been handed off to a few different people and of course there were absolutely no directions! Let me please repeat that, NO F'ing DIRECTIONS! The writing is on the wall for a fiasco! Hell, I'm not good at shit when I DO have the directions!
Scott graciously offered to help me figure out the frame, we only made a few mistakes which were easily corrected later. After that part was done I searched on the net for info on this carport and found that the company that made it was bought out by another company, kinda like my mortgage, and directions for installation were for newer models! Hell, I even emailed the bastards and they didn't have any help for where I am now, stuck because they only have directions for the newer models. Go figure!
My problem is how to attach the door and the end wall pieces. It has become a conundrum. According to the video link I was sent, which is not this specific structure, I should be able to have it up in about 2 hours. If I figure this bugger out before snow flies I'll be mighty lucky. There are slots cut into the fabric to accept something but what and how? There are turnbuckles for tension but where do they go? There are anchors but not enough so now I have to come up with some way of making some in addition to what came with the kit. On top of that there are sleeves to accept some kind of rod but they aren't there, more headaches down the road!
What I really need right now is a bulleye target stapled against the wall to bang my freaking head on. That would feel a whole lot better then trying to figure out this mess. But it was FREE! Damn, doesn't that just make all the difference in the world! Now, where the hell is my can of liquid courage?
More to Come.
Well it has been several weeks since Scottb and I put the frame together. Seems that Mother Nature decided to keep a steady blow going and the winds were fairly hard. Today's weather called for almost no freaking wind and I was at it early. The frame was up and I ended up getting the end pieces on without to much jury rigging. Damn I sure do wish I had directions as I know I'll be revisiting some of the steps to tweak it some. Also, this sure as hell ain't a one man project but can be done solo!
|The Back Wall is Up|
|The Door is Up|
|Anchor is in.|
|Eye Bolts for the Straps|
|Don't pull the strap to hard!|
Now I've mentioned cursing here before but I was quite proud of the words that spewed from my mouth today! Those damn sleeves must have been glued together or something cause the freaking pipes just would not slide through. Grunt and kick and swear and go inch by freaking inch until it broke through the opposite end. I swear if you were driving by you would have seen a man pounding his head and fists on the ground. Would have been enough to make you step on the gas pedal to get the hell away!
Finally done I had to step on all the cross pieces to adjust the top. Back and forth more times then I could count and I called it good and tightened down all the bolts that needed a wrench put to it. Another can of liquid courage saw me to pulling, tugging, grunting and yes, a lot more swearing before I got the top somewhat stretched out but it will need more tweaking to get it the way I want it. More hands is what I need. Tied down and just waiting for the rebar part to happen and it will be a new home for the canoes!
|Needs to be Stretched Some|
Nov 5, 2011
What a beautiful day it turned out to be. One week ago I had 17" of snow littering my abode creating havoc on the whole Northeast. The new shelter held up fine but it did bow down some due to the heavy wet snow we got. In the end I used the snow rack from the inside to get the snow off and that was a PITA to do.
This morning I decided I needed to tighten up the cover and add some more protection in a manor. First off I bought 4 new turnbuckles for the lines to the top cover. I pulled and pulled and pulled from all sides and got it tight and then tied on the ropes to cinch it down to the new hardware and got it tight as a drum. Sweet. Next I went into the barn and got out the leftover paneling that I have been moving from spot to spot in the barn for the last 9 years and slid them in between the frame.
|Paneling from old projects|
|Up between the frame with 1 x 3's to help support it|
|Paneling slide into place|
|1 x 4's added for support|
So, it's tight, seems to be weathering the weather quite well and WTF it was FREE. My next project is to build a rack that will hold all four canoes taking up minimal space and I have a plan for that. Gotta love plans. It will be interesting to see how this holds up during this winter!