I have been dubbing around for years now on making a rudder for my canoes. My only successful one was and is for the Hogged Backed Saint, the Disco 158. It has the perfect decks and no tanks to deal with to make this all work.
Now I have made several rudders out of wood but they all want to float to the surface of the water without some kind of line holding them into place. I asked the Maintenance guys at work if they had any old signs that were destined for the metal pile. In one day they had a nice aluminum stop sign for me. Hell, I can get two rudders out of this sucker!
I have a Feathercraft rudder mount that I have rigged up to mount on my Disco so it was just a matter of milling out some wood and cutting the sign up to the dimensions I need. I used one of the existing rudders I had, way to long, as a template, to cut out the new one. The sign is only thirty inches so that will have to do but if it isn't long enough I do have a way of extending it to get the length I need. That will come later.
|Way Too Long Rudder But Good Template|
|The Cracks Are Surface Paint|
|Mincell and Old Belt From Belt Sander|
|Added Wood To Fit in the Thang!|
|The Two Empty Holes Are For the Tiller|
|Piece of Ash|
|Adds A Couple Of Inches|
|G-Flex Gobbed On Both Sides|
|Clampage In Place|
More To Come.
November 9, 2014
This morning I knocked the wood on the rudder around some and I'm confident that the G-Flex setup is secure. I do want to put a couple of bolts through to really secure the wood to the metal but that can come down the road. That is a high stress point and will need, IMO, some reinforcement. In the meantime I did a dry fit on the hull with the whole assembly and it came out just about perfect. I may have to sand a couple of hairs off but that will take a second.
Just so you can get a visual on this setup I'm including these next set of pictures. A very easy setup and breakdown and should all store in a bag when not in use. The tiller will just be laid on the floor of the canoe when not in use like the leeboard.
|Rudder attached to the Feathercraft Mount|
|The Pin Fits into an Aluminum Tube Mounted on the Deck of the Canoe|
|I'm Using Wingnuts on the Tiller|
|A Full View|
|Foam on the End Where You Grip It.|
|Nice and Bright!|
|Reinforcement Strip to be Riveted and Glued In|
|Rustolem Spray Paint|
More To Come.
Waiting for paint to dry is a nasty job. Twiddling thumbs is not a virtue of mine. I spent a lot of time masking off tape for the design I thought I wanted and then did the black paint. I just wasn't sure!
|Taping it Out|
|Using a Halogen Light for Drying|
|Hmm, Not Sure|
|Looks Like a Bumblebee!|
Not real happy with what I did with the colors and may change it but it sure sticks out like a sore thumb! Kinda what I had in mind but if I keep it at least it will be behind me where I can't see the sucker! I may do so other stuff to it, going to mull this one over for a bit and consult a can of liquid courage!
More To Come.